Pages

Saturday 6 October 2012

5 quick creativity boosters

I thought I'd share some of my very quick and easy ways to get creativity flowing!

1) Time travel

Go back, or forward in time - imagine a situation in the future, or go back to the past and create as your younger self.  A good method I like is to draw a picture of yourself now, as if you were 8 or 80 years old.  Moving in time frees the mind from a lot of limits and travelling back to childhood, or forward to an unknown future, sparks the imagination very powerfully.

2) Play like a small child with new crayons

Let go of the outcome and just play, muck about and doodle.  By having expectations of your creativity, you may stifle it - most of us aren't creative under pressure!  

3) Turn the "bad stuff" into inspiration

Warning - this can be a trap!  See my previous blog post about relying on 'bad' life events to inspire you.  

However, I often find that starting with a rant about how uninspired I feel can loosen up the creative muscles!  Just don't get too caught up in it - it's a short jump from using something as inspiration to having a good old wallow.

4) Steal the first line or subject from somebody else

I always laugh at creative advice that tells you to sit down in front of a blank page, or blank canvas, and just write/paint anything.  

There is nothing more intimidating to a stuck artist than a blank page.  Use the first line of somebody else's poem (take it out later!), or a subject or image from another person's work to start you off.

5) Give it a rest

Creativity can be coaxed, nurtured and drawn out, but it can't be forced.  If your process feels forced, take a break, have some tea, do something else for a bit and come back to it.



.....

Like this blog? I invite you to sign up for my newsletters


....for regular glitterbombs, news, offers and weekly creative prompts.

Don't forget to check out my free goodies to help you with your creative journey.

You can also link up with me on Facebook and Twitter.

Would you like me to guest post for your blog, or write a guest post for mine?  Please get in touch!


If you enjoyed this blog post, please comment and share it along!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to stay in touch?