Pages

Friday 1 June 2012

The Joy of Quotes


I've been in my little yellow studio of wonder today creating some teensy weensy quotesy canvasses and paintings, as well as doing some serious start-of-the-month planning and journalling.


One of a the useful things about facebook is that I've been able to join a number of groups which post inspiring quotes & sayings every day.  These little bite-sized morsels of marvelousness often set me up in the morning, by putting an uplifting thought into my head first thing before I even get out of bed (hooray for smartphones).


I've always been a massive fan of quotes.  Yup, it probably indicates that I have a short attention span (I do) and that I need outside help to remain positive (who doesn't?!).  Thing is, it's little extracts of wisdom that have helped to form my life, keeping me on course and reminding me that, in this journey of creating-an-awesome-life-to-get-excited-about-and-spread-glittery-splendidness is not a lonesome journey but something that lots of rather clever people have done before me.


So, anyhoo, here are some of my favourites......


"This is the true joy in life - being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; being a force of nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy." ~George Bernard Shaw

"I sense the world might be more dreamlike, metaphorical, and poetic than we currently believe--but just as irrational as sympathetic magic when looked at in a typically scientific way. I wouldn't be surprised if poetry--poetry in the broadest sense, in the sense of a world filled with metaphor, rhyme, and recurring patterns, shapes, and designs--is how the world works. The world isn't logical, it's a song.” (David Byrne, Bicycle Diaries)


“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.”  (Roald Dahl)

"You live like this, sheltered, in a delicate world, and you believe you are living. Then you read a book… or you take a trip… and you discover that you are not living, that you are hibernating. The symptoms of hibernating are easily detectable: first, restlessness. The second symptom (when hibernating becomes dangerous and might degenerate into death): absence of pleasure. That is all. It appears like an innocuous illness. Monotony, boredom, death. Millions live like this (or die like this) without knowing it. They work in offices. They drive a car. They picnic with their families. They raise children. And then some shock treatment takes place, a person, a book, a song, and it awakens them and saves them from death. Some never awaken." (Anais Nin)
"If one is lucky, a solitary fantasy can totally transform one million realities." (Maya Angelou)
"You should never hesitate to trade your cow for a handful of magic beans." (Tom Robbins)

"If you are going down a road and don't like what's in front of you and look behind you and don't like what you see, get off the road. Create a new path!" (Maya Angelou)

...and of course, Henry David Thoreau, source of so many of my favourite ideas about how to live in a splendidly wondrous fashion......

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler."



No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to stay in touch?