Pages

Sunday 22 April 2012

Missing the fun, whilst having fun (or, 'I wish I had a clone').

Right, so I had a great, fulfilling night last night at The Art House, watching young talented folks do their thing.  We provide a  space which is very important to artists who are emerging, or who need to try something a bit experimental and that's exactly what last night's event was all about.


Which is why, when these young folks approached us about 6 weeks ago, wanting to do a music/performance night based on 'Through the Looking Glass', and the only night available was also the night a good chum of mine had invited us to her 60th Bollywood party (which I was super looking forward to) I gritted my teeth and crossed the party out of my diary.


It's an interesting balance, and something nobody warns you about when you start to do what you love full time.   The boundary between your private and work life gets very, very blurry indeed.  You have to consciously make time for things which are totally not 'work', even though you really love your work and it's with you all the time.


You also, sometimes, have to give up the personal time and the fun, especially as our working hours are often at the exact same time that our friends are kicking back and partying.


Of course I don't regret it, even today when I'm looking through pics on facebook of some of my absolute favourite people at a party, looking glam and having a fabulous time.  I'm just really, really glad that I love my job.  I'd rather like a clone sometimes, so I can be in two places at once!


I also REALLY appreciate that my true friends understand 100% why I'm not always there having fun with them.  That level of support and understanding is crucial to anyone who is following their dream and I'm always reminded of the wise words of  Dr. Seuss:  'Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind'.


To be fair, the cake does also compensate for quite a lot.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to stay in touch?